Berkeley Child Support Attorney
Lawyer Representing Clients in Northern California for Over 30 Years
Although divorce is about far more than child support, custody and child support obligations are important factors that play out in countless divorces and custody disputes every year. How they play out between you and your spouse will likely affect you and your children for years to come. With the help of a skilled family law attorney like me, you can come up with child and spousal support agreements that you can comfortably live with for the near future.
Major Credit Cards Accepted · Free Initial Consultation
My family law practice is balanced between women and men, between people wanting to limit their exposure to child support and people wanting to maximize both. I bring more than 30 years of legal experience to the job of crafting quality, common-sense child support agreements that meet your specific needs.
Common Child Support Concerns
- Abandonment concerns — can I be sure that my spouse will actually pay child support?
- Sharing custody of the children to prevent either parent from paying child support
- The custodial parent not applying child support payments for the health and well-being of the child
- The custodial parent denying parenting time if child support obligations fall behind
Child Support Determinations
It is important to remember that child support IS NOT spousal maintenance and CANNOT be used to deny a noncustodial parent parenting rights. In Alameda County, Contra Costa County, and throughout California, child support is set by statutory guidelines. The incomes and parenting time allotted to both parents are taken into consideration when determining child support obligations. Other factors may include child support obligations for children of previous marriages. However, new spouse income or assets generally CANNOT be used to set child support. The parent receiving the statutory amount of child support is under no obligation to apply the support to any particular expense toward rearing the child. However, the noncustodial parent may voluntarily provide an additional level of support, to be directed toward a specific expense such as school or health care needs.
Oakland Child Support Payment Lawyer · California Child Support Guidelines
From my offices in Berkeley, California, I represent clients in family law matters throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Call me at (510) 644-2411 or contact my office by e-mail to arrange a free consultation to discuss your legal issue with an experienced Berkeley child support lawyer.
Martin "Jamie" Elmer, Esq. is recognized as a Certified Family Law Specialist by California State Bar
1919 Addison Street, Suite 105
Berkeley, CA, 94704
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Custodial Parent Move-Aways
- Parenting Time Modifications
- Stepparent Adoptions
- Child Support Enforcement
- Complex High-Asset Division
- Investment Property Assets
- Property, Asset and Debt Division
- Marital Debt
- Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
- Separate & Community Property
- Spousal Support, Alimony
- Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence Defense
- Orders of Protections and TRO
- Estate Planning for Divorced People
- Second Marriage Estate Planning
- Wills & Trusts
- Family Law Resources
Schedule Free Consultation Today
To speak with Jamie Elmer, our Berkeley, California, family law attorney, please call the number above or email us via the form below. Please fill in all required fields.