Berkeley Attorney Handling Estate Planning
Estate Administration & Probate Lawyer Alameda County
I am California family law attorney Martin "Jamie" Elmer, of Berkeley. I have more than 30 years of experience helping people with a full range of estate planning needs, including:
- Wills and trusts
- Changes to your legal will
- Living trusts and testamentary trusts
- Charitable giving
- Contested will litigation
- Probate services and estate administration following the death of a loved one
Estate Planning After Your Divorce
Divorce is more than just the end of a bad marriage. It is also the beginning of a bright new future. After the gavel falls on the divorce judgment, many people fail to take into consideration the effects the property settlement and child custody agreement will have on their long-term financial planning.
- Changes to trust agreements established with your former spouse
- Setting up a trust to protect assets for your ex-spouse's stepchildren
- Estate planning needs for significant assets awarded in the judgment
- Contested will litigation involving stepchildren
- Stepparent adoption and how it affects your estate planning needs
Remarrying: Protect Yourself With a Prenuptial Agreement
If you are considering remarrying, it is critically important to protect your estate assets with a prenuptial agreement. If you fail to do so, your stepchildren of your second marriage may have the right to claim themselves as beneficiaries to your estate holdings, even if the entire estate was composed of separate assets. Protecting your estate for your desired beneficiaries through a prenuptial agreement or by establishing a trust to distribute your assets only according to your wishes is the key component of an estate protection plan following divorce.
Major Credit Cards Accepted · Free Initial Consultation · 30 Years of Experience
From my offices in Berkeley, California, I represent clients in family law matters throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Call me at (510) 644-2411 or contact my office by e-mail to arrange a free consultation to discuss your legal issue with an experienced Berkeley lawyer handling estate planning for divorced people.
Martin "Jamie" Elmer, Esq. is recognized as a Certified Family Law Specialist by California State Bar